Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Do I Look Middle Eastern?

On Saturday night I went out for a friend's birthday. I know Carmen from the EAC (and always get called "Carmen" at work because she's been there longer...don't get me started on the nights that Candace also works). Carmen had asked lots of her friends to come to Al Amir, Lebanese restaurant by day, Middle Eastern club by night. Apparently almost everyone bailed on her, though, because it was just me, Kim (also from work), Carmen, and her friend Angela. This was actually my first time to a club. We got there about 10:30 pm and paid the $10 (!!) cover charge. That was something I'd forgotten existed. We ordered some food (I had pita and feta cheese...yum!). Then Carmen wanted to order a hookah...so we got some cherry-flavored shisha, cherry of Leslie who told me the place was an old high school haunt of hers. Then Angela had to leave. I bought Carmen a birthday drink (Sex on the Beach...a $6 drink...this is a good reason to not go out to clubs). We proceeded to dance, or rather, Carmen danced and Kim and I made fools of ourselves. There were a couple guys who tried to dance with us...one we called "The Grinder" because that is what he thought equaled dancing. Then there was the guy who asked what my nationality was - when I answered "American," he said "Oh, I thought you were Middle Eastern." I took it to mean that it was time for the bartender to cut him off. I had a good time, but unfortunately didn't get home until 2 am. This wouldn't have been so bad except that I had agreed to get up for breakfast with Matt on Sunday morning.

So I got to see Matt (despite me being sleepy!) on Sunday morning when he picked me up at 9 for a wonderful breakfast at IHOP. Actually, the food was good but Mom's been making some great breakfasts too recently, so IHOP wasn't quite as special as it was back in College Station. One of the big tax deadlines is on Tuesday, so that was probably the last time I'll see Matt until perhaps tomorrow.

Sunday night at work was a little crazy. There was some drama going on about scheduling, and then we kept swinging between no clients and tons of clients. I put in my first catheter! But the scheduling thing is where it gets interesting. It is too complicated to explain, but I may start working the Sunday overnight shift (6pm-8am). Changes in scheduling are always interesting, though, because we commit to cover people's shifts months in advance, so when something changes, people's shifts that have been covered for weeks are no longer so. I have no idea when my boss will get around to changing my schedule, though. So who knows...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom thought your dad was Middle Eastern.

Leslie H said...

I know. How come I got everything from the Halls except the olive skin? Or is Dad's just years of accumulated tan?