Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Thursday, June 05, 2008

okay okay, you win

We won too. 33-6 tonight, but it was against the worst team in the league, I MC HAMMER, who made it through the season without a single win. But that meant that we had a LOT of fun, different people got to play, more girls got catches, because we didn't have to worry. I did feel sorry for the other team though: they had a double header tonight and almost had their first win of the season in the game before ours but blew it in the last minute. Then they had to face us, #2 team in the league. Not so fun for them. And yeah, we're #2 now, not #1, because we lost to McLovin' last week 14-12. Next week is the playoffs.

I guess my last post was right before Mike and Eve's wedding. Well, obviously we've had a lot between then and now. Wedding #1, aka Mike and Eve's, was fabulous. Amazing cool spring weather, lots of family. I got to spend a lot of time with Leslie and Bryan, which was a huge treat. We played with every ball in the ranch's possession (softball, football, soccer, ping pong), had two nights of karaoke, boated with Mike Shannon, had two bonfires...it was great. Mom and Dad have put a whole album up on their picture website (marcandsusan.overt.org).

Memorial Day weekend was wedding #2, aka Emily and Rick's. It was also fabulous. We started the weekend hosting the kids (wedding party and some close friends) at our house on Friday night. We played Rock Band, Super Smash, Mario Kart, ate food - including some wonderful homemade brownies by Emily and Liz - drank beer, and got to know one another. It was just what we hoped it would be: an opportunity for the rather diverse wedding party to get to know each other. And Rick reprised Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld, which would have made the night awesome alone. Matt and I also had the fortune to host Rick for the weekend in our guest room, and that made us feel pretty cool. On Saturday we had afternoon rehearsal and then the dinner at Blue Mesa. The food was excellent. Then Sunday morning was the bridesmaids brunch at Cisco. Matt and Rick took Pene for a walk right before I got home (Rick had some pre-wedding energy to blow off) and we followed that up with some Mario Kart. Then it was time for us to start getting ready, and let me tell you, nothing says "I'm a groom and it's my wedding day" like coming out of the bathroom with 20 (okay, 5) pieces of toilet paper stuck to one's face because of shaving mishaps. Rick fought through the blood loss to help Matt and I try and figure out how to tie Matt's bagpiping outfit's bow tie (we watched a YouTube video but still didn't get it right).

The wedding itself was beautiful and perfect. Matt piped before the ceremony, while I was locked up with the bride and maids. The church (Royal Lane Baptist) was lovely and fit the size of the wedding really well. Emily looked gorgeous and sweet and demure and entirely like a bride. (Pictures are at randallstewart.com). Rick looked handsome and nervous and entirely like a groom. The reception was at Northwood Country Club and it was pretty great too. I had to give a toast, which had me quite nervous, but it seemed to go over well. I had a great time getting to know Rick's groomsmen over the course of the weekend, particularly my partner, Best Man Matt. They were a really nice group of young men, and Matt was really fun to be around. Well, they were all pretty hilarious when they were three sheets to the wind at the reception. I'm sure I have some good stories tucked away in my head, but I can't recall them right now. I'm kind of worn out from my awesome game tonight. =D

We're heading to the ranch this weekend for some fun and relaxation (Pene is super excited). Then we have our last team practice and dinner at Peggy Sue on Sunday. I think Cousin Lisa and Miles are coming to Dallas for a couple days next week, we have the playoffs on Thursday, and I leave for my California trip with Mom, Aunt Lisa, and Cousin Katie on Saturday. Isn't summer supposed to be lazy? ;)

2 comments:

Leslie H said...

You do give good toasts, if the measure of good is "things that make me cry."

Can you believe we're about to see each other again? Luxury!

Cameron said...

I know! I felt the same way about Cousin Lisa's visit so soon after seeing her at the wedding. I'm getting spoiled!