Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Thursday, April 30, 2009

35%

I figured out today that if I make my usual 100% on my last chapter test for A&P, I will only need a 35% on the last proctored exam to make an A. It's nice to know that some things never change...my inability to do anything but overachieve in classes continues even in community college classes I'm taking for no reason.

Today was my ESL co-teacher and mentor Satoshi's last day. He's working hard to finish his masters thesis for next month and has a summer job lined up that will most likely keep him away from teaching. I brought donuts and juice to class and was anticipating having a nice laid-back party with the students to celebrate. Well, if I've learned anything these last few months teaching ESL, it's that you can never predict what will happen. I don't know if it was the rain this morning or what, but we had 1 - ONE - student come to class. He said that he thought a lot of the clients had to go to the Catholic Charities (or their refugee service) offices to take care of end of month things, like renewing their food stamps, but for whatever reason...one student. And trust me, this guy was not going to eat 18 donuts. So we shared with the other class and had a really productive day working intensively with our one student, who honestly needed the attention, but again...not what I had in mind. I should know better by now! It's only the days where I've made less than ten copies of class materials that we're overflowing with students!

The donuts were good though. Mmmm, blueberry.

No comments: