Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, November 05, 2018

Books (again...still?) (IV)


  • Frost Burned* by Patricia Briggs
  • Night Broken* by Patricia Briggs
  • Fire Touched* by Patricia Briggs
  • Silence Fallen* by Patricia Briggs
  • The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer
  • The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan
  • The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians 1-3 by Rick Riordan
    • The Lightning Thief
    • The Sea of Monsters
    • The Titan's Curse
  • Death's Mistress* by Terry Goodkind
  • Shroud of Eternity by Terry Goodkind
  • Rogues by George R.R. Martin
  • by Stephen King
    • Sleeping Beauties
    • Misery
    • Carrie
    • Firestarter
    • Salem's Lot
That seems like too few books. But maybe I just felt like it was more because over half were new.

And dang, I have realized that I enjoy Stephen King! I read The Stand long ago (probably at a much too young age), and then this summer I listened to the 48+ hour unabridged audiobook. But I thought that my enjoyment of his work was more of a specialized thing than an all-encompassing one. Regardless, after revisiting The Stand, and then discovering Sleeping Beauties (which just came out last year got robo-recommended by the library after I read Stephanie Meyer's The Chemist**), I asked Mom and Dad which books of his they liked. As a bigtime reader, I am always thrilled to discover an author with decades of book authorship under his belt, especially ones beloved of general library audiences. Mom remembered working at Steak and Ale in the '70s when a woman came in for lunch by herself and was entranced with a copy of (the probably newly released) Salem's Lot. So that's where I started. Major win. Dad's first contribution was Firestarter (an appropriate suggestion from father to daughter, I think, and also great). Misery and Carrie were more the result of available Kindle copies from the library than "must reads." So if anyone has a Stephen King favorite that isn't mentioned here (a few Mom and Dad vetoed rather than proposed...no books where the dog dies!) - I'm all ears. Or eyes. Neither really, but an all-eared, all-eyed reading monster would be a lackluster bad guy for a suspense novel.

**PS on The Chemist - I actually really liked it. I had to pretend over and over that it wasn't written by the woman who gave us Twilight (that was a tiny bit hard when it got PG-rated gooey around the middle, but the moment passed). So yeah, if you see that book and then are about to disregard it because of the author, think twice. :)

No comments: