Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

misc catch up

First off, Mom is doing great. She's feeling much better and is off her pain meds. She gets her stitches out on Tuesday.

So, it has been a while. Let me try to catch up...
  • On Monday (4/4), I tended to Mom and worked on my speech for class. It was based on the book The Introvert Advantage by Dr. Marti Olsen Laney. I hadn't done hardly anything for it until then.
  • On Tuesday, I gave my informative speech at Richland after working on it for most of the afternoon. On the way there, Malaika called from work to say she had an emergency and asked if I could work for her. She was taking care of Dr. Sarpong's house while she was in Africa, and their two dogs had escaped, so Malaika had to stay there in case animal control or neighbors called. So, after I gave my speech (got a 98), I went home and changed and went back to North Dallas for work. It was uneventful, except that it was Kim's last shift (she had taken a job doing education at the Nashville Zoo a couple before and the next day gave her two-weeks notice). I was glad I got to work that last shift with her, since I'd missed her on Sunday night.
  • The next day I went to a going away party for Kim. The party was at her apartment east of SMU, and it was me, Kim, Carmen, and a ton of Kim's friends from the Dallas Zoo. After a while, I was tired of being in the tiny minority from the EAC, so I went home. I wanted to be able to drive home anyway, and it looked like they were settling down for a night of heavy drinking.
  • I subbed on Thursday and Friday for Ms. Janik. I had to do TAKS review (the new standardized test) with them both days, and that sucked. The end of the week...a sub...test review...an upcoming three-day weekend...I had to give detentions for the first time.
  • On Saturday night I got to hang out with Matt. We rented Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. It was okay, in the vein of Super Troopers but not as good.
  • Matt didn't have to work on Sunday, so we used my Central Market gift card (a graduation present) and bought stuff for a picnic. We went down to Lakeside and enjoyed the cool spring day. It was overcast, which made the new green leaves glow. I realized later that it was almost exactly three years ago that I was there taking my La Fiesta portrait and getting my CR-V!
  • Work that night was different - we weren't terribly busy, and my vet never hospitalized anything, but we treated and streeted quite a few cases. Also, it was just Raye-Jean and me, and 1) I'm not used to working with just one other tech, and 2) I hadn't gotten to work with Raye-Jean in a while. It was a good day.
  • On Monday (4/11), I realized that Dr. Bratton at work is the older brother of Greg Bratton, who was a senior at HP my freshman year. Greg was a Scotsman, on the baseball team, and on the Bagpipe staff. I finally knew why I kept wanting to call Dr. Geoff Bratton "Greg" and why he looked so familiar!
  • Also on Monday, I went to Stephanie's apartment for an engagement/pre-bachelorette party. The theme was "penis." Rynn even baked a penis cake, although her decision to put sprinkles on the lower half made some people groan. The people there were a group of women from work, including three of the vets! It was a really fun time, people sitting around and chatting, talking about their relationships (one of the vets brought her wedding album). We were supposed to reconvene that night at either a bar or "man club" but we were all too tired. Some other time, maybe...
  • I was supposed to have a wedding dress fitting on Tuesday morning, but Laurie hadn't left Waco. :( Mom and I still met with Susie, though, to discuss wedding things, which was nice (but didn't make up for my getting up at 7am unnecessarily).
  • Today Amanda came by with her mom and got fitted for her bridesmaid's dress. She was in town as a member of a scholarship interview panel. She looked amazing in her dress, but then so have all the 'maids! I was sad that we didn't get to chat much, though, because she had to get back to CS. But still, something was better than nothing.
So that's about all the news that's fit to print. I am really looking forward to the end of my internet classes. Just about three weeks left! Then I can start studying for the GRE... :-/

3 comments:

Leslie H said...

I remember Greg Bratton...

Cameron said...

I know! He was only a year older than you and he was quite involved. I remember what a great group of Scotsmen we had that year. His brother looks a *lot* like him.

Anonymous said...

I wish we could have chatted more as well. I can't believe how good of a job your Mom is doing on those dresses! Better than off the rack, in my opinion. :) I hope those GRE books come in handy, though I seriously doubt you will need to do much studying for it. Other than the writing portion, it is almost exactly like the SAT...which everyone knows you did *terrible* on. ;)