Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Hola

I've been busy. No really! This past week I began training at Cisco as the "lunch coordinator," a mini-management position Dad created after one of our assistant managers moved away. I'm going to be working three lunches a week (9-4: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) at Cisco until at least the first of the year. It's been very fun so far - and I've appreciated the opportunity to learn more about the restaurant business. It is, after all, the family business! And it's a great way to make some money and spend my time since the whole full-time-at-the-emergency clinic didn't work out. For the curious, my duties include: opening up the restaurant in the morning (turning on lights, A/C, counting money, etc.) going to the bank, receiving orders from vendors, paying said vendors, running errands (like going to the grocery store and Amore), answering the phone, seating people, getting drink orders and busing tables if the service assistant needs help, handling the cash drawer, getting the waiters their checks, taking responsibility for things and taking care of problems, etc...So, yes! So far I've been working with Dad and Mike Shannon, and it looks like I'll be done with my official training at the end of August.

Also keeping me busy - studying for the GRE. It's on Wednesday...I have been studying, but finding out the average math+verbal score of enrolled vet school students last year was 1160 didn't help my motivation. I will be going full-steam ahead the next few days, though.

A third drain on my time: getting Zetarg to level 60 (the highest level) in World of Warcraft. Bryan got his warlock Arla to 60...so I must. We've also been playing together as a badass team of troll warrior and priest.

Finally, an upcoming source of excitement (?) - I'm taking Spanish at El Centro for fun this fall, and it starts tomorrow night. I hope it'll be fun and keep my brain from shrivelling up between now and vet school. Plus, it'll come in very handy at Cisco and the clinic, and I hope the opportunity to hear Spanish and practice with people will make me learn it better and faster.

Oh, and I chopped all my hair off. It's off my shoulders. I like it! (even though this hastily-snapped picture of myself doesn't do it justice)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the new cut emphasizes the resemblance to Leslie!

emily said...

I really like the haircut too :) Good luck on the GRE (not that you need it)!

Anonymous said...

you don't know me; i'm a friend of leslie's.. i've been reading your blog and i had to comment because i'm about to give in to the WoW urge. just thought i'd let you know you've contributed to my downfall.