Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

I've decided change is bad

Well, some change. The thing is that people are leaving the EAC and that sucks. Sunday was Raye-Jean's last overnight shift. Raye-Jean, you may recall, is the woman who trained me from my second week. She's the one that loaned me all the Mercedes Lackey books I'm reading. The one who understands what Piper's all about. The Cat Whisperer. So I'm very sad, although not for her, as she's going on to a job where she says she'll get to work less for more money, not have to deal with clients, and the only people there on the overnight will be her and another tech (who happens to be another former EAC person). But I'll miss her like crazy, and the Sunday overnights will not be the same. Of course, they wouldn't be the same anyway because one of the two vets that works them is also leaving - Dr. Ferguson, also known as Fergie. She works at several other clinics and is picking up another shift at one of them to replace her one overnight she works with us. But the vets are just as much part of the fun of Sunday overnight as the techs... :( and there's a chance Malaika's leaving us too, as she's waiting to hear back from a research company in Washington DC that she interviewed with a couple weeks ago. *cry* The people are what make the Sunday overnight worth working, and I know that the ones who will replace those who are leaving won't be the same. So yes, my conclusion is that change is bad.

In other news, Spanish started yesterday. I realized as I kept glancing at the clock last night that I must be having an authentic school experience, since I couldn't wait for it to be over. Mostly this was because we spent the first hour of class with people explaining why they were taking Spanish and some of them would not stop talking. There are 25 students, and people seem to be split into the very few (of which I am one) who have had almost no experience with Spanish, Latinos who speak Spanish but want to learn the rules and improve their writing and reading skills, people who have taken Spanish before or picked up a lot through work who want to learn it formally, and morons. I guess that last category is to be expected at El Centro in a freshman-level class. Anyway, we didn't get to much yesterday except basic pronunciation rules and the usual phrases (good morning, my name is..., etc), but I'm looking forward to diving in more on Wednesday. And figuring out how to get to class, because I'm not paying $5 to park again...it's unfortunate that class is at 5:30, so I have to travel downtown at the peak of rush hour traffic.

Oh, and the first Aggie football game is this Saturday. Matt is *so* excited :)

[I forgot to mention - the GRE went great last week and unless my essay scores come back as 1, I'm not taking it again! Yay! Happiness :) ]

1 comment:

emily said...

Boo for people leaving. But yay for doing well on the GRE! :)