Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, January 28, 2008

flag football

A few weeks ago I read a post on Texags.com about the Dallas A&M Club sponsoring teams to play a few different sports (soccer, kickball, flag football) in a co-ed sports league (Big D Sports and Entertainment). In a move completely outside of my comfort zone, I signed up to join the Dallas Aggies flag football team. Our games are on Thursday nights and we're two games into the season. We won our first game in a rousing 19-12 victory against team Miller Time but got our butts kicked in game 2 versus McLovin'. It's been pretty fun and I think I'll enjoy the rest of the season. What I think would be really fun would be to get Matt in on the action and to play a sport with him!

The cast of characters for my team includes:
  • Captain Blake. He's roughly my age, very nice. Really fast and probably the best overall player on our team.
  • Ashley. Blake's twin. Also nice and probably our best female player.
  • Duncan. Our QB. About my age, hates passing to girls. Favorite throw: long floaters begging to be intercepted.
We had practice yesterday to try and get a little better. Some people that said they were coming didn't show, but we still were somewhat productive. Some people from other teams showed up and we had a 7-on-7 practice game. A girl named Misty showed up that is on our team but missed the first couple games and was pretty good - not extremely athletic, but good hands and, perhaps because she doesn't look threatening, has a good ability to get open. Duncan didn't come so Blake quarterbacked for us. As a result I had a catch! Too bad our win in our practice game didn't count for anything.

One nice thing about this league is that they make sure the girls at least get a little action. Of the 8 players per team on the field, at least three have to be girls. Also, at least every third play has to have a girl involved, either as quarterback, receiving, or running.

No comments: