Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

return from Austin, and the return of the husband

I've had a couple really fun weekends - the first weekend in April I spent at the ranch with Mom and Dad and this past weekend I was in Austin with cousin Lisa. And now I have something even better - Matt's back from the black hole of tax season!

The ranch weekend was super fun. We burned one of the big dead 100-year-old oak trees in the field where it lay. We castrated the boy cows. I helped Mom in the garden and with horsey baths. And all the while Pene ran around and had great adventures. She even played tag with Pendar. We enjoyed the fire and the stars and the beautiful weather both nights out by the bonfire - it was fun having it by the pond. And we established that Nameless the cow is a ninja because she managed to sneak up on the group to try and take Pene out. She's light on her feet!

This past weekend in Austin was great too. I arrived on Friday afternoon and watched Lisa spend HOURS working on Miles' Elmo birthday cake. Lisa's friend Christina and her 20-month-old daughter were there too adding to the fun. Then Saturday morning was a family birthday celebration (he officially turned one on Sunday), followed by the 14th annual Dreher Crawfish Boil. There were around 200 guests there (although probably not all at the same time). I got to visit with cousin Michael and his new girlfriend and meet a lot of Eric and Lisa's friends and family. It was pretty chaotic. Oh, and I tried crawfish...it didn't kill me. Uncle Mike and Eve invited me to spend the night with them since the party was going into the wee hours of the morning (Miles was already bunking with them) and I took them up on their offer. On Sunday I reunited with Lisa and Eric. We spent the midday cleaning and relaxing and then went to Lake Travis in the afternoon to visit with some of their friends who were still in town from the Boil. When we got back to the house, we were all so tired (and some people were just a tad hung over!) so we ordered pizza and watched TV and sought our beds early. On Monday I went with Miles for his 12-month doctor's appointment and saw him get his shots (it wasn't pretty). We relaxed in the afternoon and played Beautiful Katamari. Lisa grilled us chicken for dinner (it was good). I decided to go ahead and drive home that night to avoid traffic and that actually went pretty well.

When I got home and Matt was actually there! He had a good April 15 and we've been hanging out and relaxing since!

No comments: