Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The 12th Man

Our herd is complete now - Belle had her calf yesterday. Jerry had claimed naming rights, and so our little bull calf is named "12th Man." Mom and Dad are going to call him 12. The lucky boy will be exempt from this weekends planned castration party. Midnight and Chief are the guests of honor, although they don't know it yet. :)

Things have been slow but steady over here for me. I subbed Thursday and Friday of last week. Thursday was just another typical day with Ms. Janik's 8th grade language arts class. We read The Diary of Anne Frank play aloud in class.

But Friday! Friday I substituted for the Cube (otherwise known as Mrs. Cubeta, my junior AP English III teacher). She teaches junior and senior English, so for a couple periods I was in charge of kids who were 4 years younger than me. And it was great! The juniors were taking a vocab quiz which only took them about 15 minutes, and then they were allowed quiet free time. And unlike the 8th graders, they took advantage of that time by getting work done. And the volume level stayed reasonable. And there were any boys who I had to say "stop touching each other" to or that threw books or cussed. The worst thing, which was really just odd, not bad, was a boy coming back from the restroom with a volleyball. Also, during lunch I ate with the pre-AP and AP chemistry teachers. They said they'd remember my name for subbing. Teaching chemistry - now that would be fun! After classes were over, I had a wonderful long chat with Mr. Barrows. It was great catching up with him. He cares about his former students so much! He was really delighted with all the stories I had about his former students and what they were doing now. So I came away from the high school no longer fearing it. :)

I hung out with Matt on Friday night and most of Saturday. He's about to be swamped with taxes, so we tried to get as much time in together last weekend as possible. On Sunday, I found out that someone had signed up to cover most of my shift that day. I'd posted it up the week before, thinking no one would sign up for it but hoping they would so I could spend that time with Matt. Well, someone covered it from 6-12, so I only had to go in for 2 hours. And it was the slowest I'd ever seen the clinic, so mostly I just watched TV. Excellent. So I spend the evening over at Matt's. We watched The Gods Must Be Crazy.

Monday was my day of rest. I finished off a new fantasy trilogy I was reading by Jacqueline Carey. I also attempted to work on my "speech of introduction" for my online speech class. But WoW won out and I mostly played that instead. Yesterday I subbed again for Ms. Janik and they read Anne Frank again. During my off period I practiced my speech. Last night I drove out to Richland to give my speech. I met 8 of the other students in my class (we had the choice to send in a tape instead - five or so people went that route) and my instructor. I got an A+ on my speech...but everyone got an A. I was the only one there that wasn't either married or had children. The ages ranged from me and a 23-year-old to a woman who looked about 60-ish. All major ethnic groups were represented as well - quite a different experience from A&M, but I think it'll be a good one. And not very challenging either! My two classes are taking up some time, but so far haven't required too much thinking. I have a lot due this weekend, and how that all turns out will give me a good idea of how the rest of the semester will go.

That's about it. Except for one thing that I'm holding back that is exciting me...but I'll just say there should be pictures up this weekend about it. :)

No comments: