Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Hokay, so...

Yes, it's been a while. I was waiting to let more people comment on the awesomeness of the apartment, but I was disappointed. Bad readers!

The major events in the last couple weeks have been work-related. I got a call from my boss a couple days before my last post asking if I could start working the Sunday overnight shift (6pm-8am) that Sunday (the 24th). I suspected I knew the reason why he'd ask with relatively little lead time, and turns out I was right (someone was fired and the peasants rejoiced). So I said yes. If nothing else, I was pumped about not having to get to work until 6:00 rather than 4:00. So that Sunday, which happened to be Matt's birthday, I worked my first official overnight shift. The only major event took place before the overnight, when Raye-Jean, Pablo, and I were trying to take an x-ray of a 95 pound, seven-month-old greater Swiss mountain dog. She exploded with urine and managed to get all of us. Luckily I was wearing my lead apron which took the majority of it, but I also got it on my arms and (ick) face. Everyone else had a good chuckle. Except Raye-Jean - she had to go wash her pants in the bathroom sink and try to dry them with a hair dryer so her leg would stop burning, all the while grumbling about stupid owners who don't train their big dogs. At midnight, everyone but four of us techs (Raye-Jean, Malaika, Stephanie, and me) and two vets (Drs. Jackson and Ferguson) went home. The overnight wasn't too bad, but we were kept busy. After all the animals were gone in the morning, I went and had breakfast with Malaika and Stephanie at The Original Pancake House and then we went to David's Bridal, where Stephanie had picked out her wedding dress (she's getting married next year). We got to see her model it, and then she got to take it home! Then I went home and crashed.

On Tuesday night, Piper had a play-date with Malaika's two kittens, known as "The Boys" (Shango and Ishu), two of Jennifer's cat's 9 kittens. Piper went over there and was quite the unsocialized torti, hissing and snorting the entire time. To their credit, the boys were very polite hosts. I also spent some time with Carmen last week. We had a late lunch on Thursday at Amore, came back to the house so she could say hi to Piper and meet Mom, Dad, and Murphy, and then walked around Snider Plaza a while.

On Saturday, Matt, Susie, and I had a wedding invitation stuffing and stamping party. In a couple hours, we had them all bundled up and ready to go. Mom and Dad mailed them yesterday (they were Mom's babies; she looked back over her shoulder when she had to leave them at the post office). Last Sunday brought my second official overnight experience. I was more used to it, meaning I was able to see midnight as halftime rather than game over. I had four patients, one of whom was a 150 pound mastiff mix named Baby! He was a good boy, though, recovering from surgery that afternoon. No breakfast or excitement for me after work this time, though - I came home and crashed for a few hours instead. I'll get my sleep schedule sorted out eventually.

This Saturday Matt will move into the apartment! We're very excited. :) This is his one time to live by himself!

3 comments:

emily said...

Sounds like you had an exciting few weeks :) It's going to be weird coming home from college, looking around for matt, and realizing that he's in the Roberts/Hall apartment! Crazy.

Cameron said...

Everyone wants to hear about the ducks...maybe you can post a picture or two.

Anonymous said...

Uh, oh...that last comment was from me, not Cameron.