Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Calf count: 4

Peanut had a little girl tonight. Mom reports she is red with with markings on her face, and both mother and baby are doing well. Nameless and Jo-Bob are soon to follow, they think.

We had our next-to-last flag football game on Thursday. It was at a new location, Fair Oaks Park, which is right next to a new DISD high school. It was really nice there (aside from the grass being more like dirt), great lights and bleachers and everything. I was optimistic about our chances, because we were playing a team that was in the bottom half of the rankings like us and we'd managed to have practice before last week's rained out game. Alas, it was not to be. Although we scored first and initially kept it close, I guess the other team adjusted to us better than we adjusted to them. Also, as the game went on and things got out of hand, we lost our newly gained composure and game plan and certain members of our team (okay, I admit I'm thinking of one specifically) kind of ruined our practiced plans by getting insisting on getting in there without knowing what the hell they were doing (you know, we have this thing called practice and it helps if you come and also try to not suck, ya know?!). So yeah, I was getting a tad frustrated with it all and I don't think I was alone in that. Oh well, I hope next season will be better (assuming I don't get kicked off the team for caring too much =P). After the game, I went with about of my teammates to a bar and looked like quite the poster child for sobriety drinking my water while they all drowned their sorrows in alcohol. It was pretty impressive the way they could knock the drinks back (they are Aggies, after all, with their tolerance well-earned at the Dixie Chicken I suppose). Eventually I had to call it a night because Matt had made his way back from a hard day's work at the office. But really, aside from the losing part, it was a fun night. :)

I just finished reading the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix. Although it took me quite a while to get into the first book, Sabriel, I ended up really enjoying the series. The second book Lirael and third Abhorsen were very good. One way to tell how much I enjoy a book is by how quickly I read it - I started and finished Abhorsen today =D I took a trip to the library today in anticipation of finishing the series and checked out a lot of gardening books. This warm spell we've had has renewed my interest in working with our yard. Now I just have to spend the next bit researching so I'm ready to plant when we're less likely to have a freeze. I also checked out Stephen Colbert's book I am America (And So Can You!); that should be fun!

This is quite odd, but as I was typing that last sentence, my keyboard layout switched to Dvorak and wouldn't switch back until I restarted. Weird...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in ur keyboard, changin ur layoutz.