Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Another long one :)

Let's see, what's been going on? I'll touch on the highlights. Friday night was the first ever Highland Park Blue Out game. The entire thing was the idea of Matt's mom. Okay, obviously not the idea of a "[color] out" game, but she was the reason why it came to HP. The shirts' profits (which was 100% in most cases because of sponsorship) went to the band, and the overall amount raised was something around or over $20,000!!! Way to go, Susie! And it was awesome to see thousands of typically apathetic HP fans wearing their blue, official shirt or otherwise, to support the football team as they took on a talented Wiley team. Mom, Dad, Matt, and I went to the game together and sat in the semi-covered-by-the-overhang school board section. It was very rainy (unfortunately, since that mean the blue got covered up with all different colors of rain gear), but there were several breaks in it. And the football was amazing. It was a very close game, with the lead going back and forth between Wiley and HP. HP scored on a 4th down play late in the 4th quarter to go ahead by 1 point, and in the 52 seconds left Wiley marched back down and got within field goal range. But they'd already used all their timeouts and their kicker was rushed and they missed the kick. I'd never seen as many HP fans stay for the end of the game as did on Friday. It was awesome. Blue Out record 1-0!

We got home late, which was unfortunate because Matt and I had to get up early on Saturday morning to drive to College Station for more football! Matt picked me up at 7am and drove us down for the Colorado game. We met up with Emily and the duplex and headed to campus. Gotta love the West Campus garage spot (good job, Em). We walked around the stadium and into the MSC looking for tickets. Matt left us waiting inside while he went back out to find a scalper with good seats. He returned victorious, and we celebrated with cheeseburgers grilled right in front of Kyle Field. Right before we parted with Em to enter the stadium, she discovered that our seats weren't on the alumni side as Matt thought, but were in an alumni section on the student side (in between the 5-10 yard lines, first deck). So we didn't part ways just then. Finally we did, as Emily was on the first row of the second deck. And let me say this about the weather: it was raining when we got to College Station for the game, and we were prepared with rain gear. Well, as SOON as the game started, the clouds broke and it became hot and sunny. The left sides of our faces got a little ... pink. Yeah, we looked silly. Anyway, we were looking forward to the A&M game as a welcome change from the excitement of the HP game the night before. We were supposed to crush CU. Ha! The game was terrifying and we barely managed to tie it up to head into overtime. Luckily, after scoring a field goal on our try, CU's Purify fumbled and we recovered and the scariest A&M game this season was over. Big sigh of relief. And even though it was way too emotional and scary, it was awesome to be there. Matt's so nice. We scurried right out of Kyle Field and College Station (after dropping off Emily) and drove to the mini-ranch. We had a yummy dinner with the 'rents and Jerry, watched some of the Texas-Tech game, had a bonfire, watched fog roll in and out, and went to bed before 11pm because we were so tuckered out. M&D let us sleep until after they got back from church, which was great. We had a lovely brunch around 11am and then Matt and I met Domino (turns out she's a she). Bob was being insanely protective of her as we walked out into the field, so that we came up with the plan "okay, if she charges us, jump over the fence." Mom and Dad went to get the horses, but we didn't have time to ride because I wanted to get back with plenty of time before work. Just as well - as soon as they got the horses to the barn, it started pouring. So we left the mini-ranch and came back to Dallas. Work was fine. I learned how to do x-rays and none of our patients died, so it was a good night. There were more patients in the clinic than other nights, but it still wasn't busy.

Yesterday I beat FFX-2. I had been going for 100% completion, but I messed one thing up (which was really annoying), so I just decided to beat the game as soon as possible after that. I still ended up with 98%, which was pretty good. And if you replay the game as a "new game plus," you start with the same %, so I just need to make sure I do what I didn't do last time. It was a really fun game and I enjoyed it (almost as much as FFX, and I liked certain aspects a lot more in X-2). But I'm also glad I've beaten it since Luke will be getting GTA: SA soon and he'll need my PS2.

Today I was convinced I would be substituting. My first scheduled job is next Tuesday, for Ms. Janik (McDonald), and I don't want her to have to be my first time. So I was scouring the website last night for a job but there was nothing. But last week I was called early in the morning Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday by the automated voice with jobs, so I thought there was a good chance I'd get called this morning as well. So I packed my bag, got out sub-appropriate clothes, and set my alarm for 7am (you have to be at the schools around 7:45am). I woke up at 7 but hadn't been called yet, so I didn't get out of bed. I figured I was awake at least, so if the call came I could spring up and be ready in no time. But, alas, the phone never rang and so I went back to sleep (I couldn't fall asleep last night due to nerves). Oh well, there's always tomorrow or Thursday or Friday (although one of those days I'm supposed to do wedding stuff). But I really hope something comes along soon.

Oh, I didn't mention this earlier. Mom, Dad, and I were all really intrigued by Bryan and Leslie's Replay TV (DVR). When we got back from California, I looked at our cable company's website to see what they had to say about it - turns out they were doing a DVR service in certain areas. Now, I knew that the ideal DVR is not one from a cable company, but our digital cable is finicky enough without trying to get it to play nicely with a third party device - getting it through the cable company is a way to ensure more support. Anyway, I called Charter on Thursday to see if it was being offered here. Sure enough, it was and you got the unit plus service for $9.99 a month - no buying the DVR, no contract. I told M&D about it, and Dad said "Let's try it!" So I called back and they said they could install it the next day (Friday). Woot! The DVR simply replaces our digital cable box. It doesn't have all the features that Leslie and Bryan's has, but it has enough, and they are currently working on a software upgrade that adds more. I've already set it up to record all of our shows, plus a few movies I wanted to watch, plus the show "Dead Like Me" on Showtime, a show I had watched a few times and liked but that airs Sunday nights. I love our new DVR. And for once, I think this was technology that Mom and Dad would have gotten on their own, even if I hadn't existed! I'm so proud.

No comments: