Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

I am le tired

YAWN! It was rough getting up early this morning. I signed up to sub for the morning 4 periods for a freshman biology teacher, so I had to get up at 6:30 to be ready. I got up particularly early since I had no clue what I was doing. But, I made it and everything went fine. I even got to talk with the teacher before school because she wasn't sick or anything - she needed to be home to have furniture delivered. All I did was give a quiz (which the teacher had warned me the kids would whine about) and then show a video I don't really have any stories except that 2nd period decided to make a petition relating to the unfair nature of the quiz. I didn't mind them passing it around during the video (since my feeling was "it is fine to take it up with your teacher but as of right now just do your best"), but I refused to take the petition to give to the teacher. That's the students' business. And I have a feeling the petition isn't going to be a big hit with her. So I subbed 2-4 periods and then picked up lunch in the cafeteria before heading home (I got a free lunch voucher for subbing - I wonder if that's a every time thing?). I watched a DVR-ed Dead Like Me and chilled. Until now.

So the last couple days have been a little depressing. A friend I made in my anatomy group lost his mom to cancer on Sunday night. He came by yesterday to return some notes of mine and told me about it (he told me about the terminal diagnosis back in May, which was pretty much when his whole family found out). He's been back from A&M for a month to be with his family. He seemed like he was doing as well as he could be, but I think it'd be hard for him to be back home with all his friends still dispersed at various schools. He seems to be without much of a peer support group; even though we only know each other from one class, I hope I can maybe help a little to by being there for him. Also, Dr. Fred Sicilio, the namesake of the chemistry scholarship I received my first two years at A&M passed away yesterday. I only got to meet him a few times because of his failing health, but I heard all about him from the creators of the scholarship. He was an amazing man, a professor and advisor in the chemistry department, [you can read his obituary that appeared in the BCS Eagle (scroll down a bit)], and he also had an amazing family and friends. He will be missed.

So I'm a little sad. Luckily Murphy remains a source of joy or at least laughter. Last night I was talking with Mom and Dad in their room and I let him out to the back to go to the bathroom before bed. And he fell in the pool. I looked outside and saw these ripples in the water and there Murph was, clinging to the corner. I ran to him and pulled him out by the armpits. He was very distraught and shook water everywhere. Lesson from this: don't let the dog out in the back in the dark anymore. But it was still better than the time Jazzie fell in the hot tub - it was colder then (Thanksgiving or Christmas) and Jazzie only gave a couple futile strokes before resigning herself to her fate. Paddle-paddle-"this is the end...goodbye"...[bubbles]...

No comments: