Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, July 24, 2006

The best laid plans of mice and men

Greetings from Amarillo. Yes, that's right, Amarillo. We had to cut our Colorado vacation short because I had another seizure yesterday. About 1 hour after my last blog post, while at the pottery place about to get started with the painting, I went down. Luckily, 1) no other patrons were there to witness, and 2) Matt caught me and knew what was happening. It only lasted about a minute, same as last time. I came to laying on the floor and Matt told me what had happened. I groaned.

The same EMT crew was first on the scene and we exchanged greetings. Then the paramedics, the inevitable vital sign taking and finger stick, and being wheeled to the ambulance. Matt got to ride in the front again (lucky dog) and I immediately asked for the anti-nausea medicine, having learned my lesson about the results of being stoic last time. I got another IV, this time in the back of my left hand instead of the crook of my elbow, was started on fluids, had all my vitals taken and retaken, and went back to the hospital in Frisco. The same doctor was there too, Dr. D, which was nice because he remembered me and would trust the test he had performed less than a week ago. He was not pleased to see me though, because as he said "the first seizure is free," but any after that is no good. Matt had called the house and John came to the hospital to sit with Matt next to my stretcher.

Dr. D talked with some neurologists in Denver to get their opinion. While that was going on, a person who did pet therapy came by with his dog. The guy was almost completely blind, and the dog was not just a therapy animal but also a seeing eye dog. He was a gorgeous golden retriever. So that was a nice way to pass the time while Dr. D was conferring with the neurologists. After a time he came back with his game plan. Basically his part was giving me anti-convulsants (taken 3 times a day, it is awful) and telling me I "had to get out of Dodge." Once back in Dallas he wants me off the anti-convulsants and to get an EEG to make sure that it was just the altitude and not some brain craziness that caused the seizure. I talked that day with my doctor in Dallas, Dr. Z, and she thought his game plan sounded good. I'm seeing her in a week anyway, so that'll work. The only really sucky part was the whole leaving Colorado business.

We'd gone on and on about how glad we were that we'd be in Colorado for 2 weeks this year, unlike last year. We went through the first week remarking that we had all the time in the world to do the activities we wanted, like white water rafting, because of that second week. Well, poop. I had to get out of the 9000+ feet elevation and fast, and that sucked. I mean, it was necessary - I couldn't go on a long hike or rafting or anything like that when I was at risk for having a seizure - but that doesn't make it suck less. So it was time for the end of the vacation. Last night I had to use my oxygen at all times aside from eating and Matt and I had to pack up. We left this morning, to head back to 100+ weather, humidity, and flatness. I'm more than a little miffed. This is not how the 2 weeks were supposed to go. And poor Matt - I can't drive since there's the seizure risk, so he's having to drive the whole way back.

There's plenty I can be thankful for in this whole situation: Matt's great insurance through KPMG, the support and love of John and Susie, that both my seizures were in very safe places, that Breckenridge has a great little hospital and wonderful paramedics/EMTs/nurses/doctors, that I did get to have a week of fun...but it's hard to think of all that right now. Boo. I was supposed to be fly fishing tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!

Yes, I still read your Blog. Wow, I can't believe you've had 2 seizures...I am so glad you are okay and were not doing anything dangerous. Give me a shout sometime, I want to know what's going on in your life!! :) (you can guess mine...work, work, and more work...but Jeff's moving to Houston on Aug. 5th!)