Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

One fish, two fish...

Yesterday Matt and Luke went to see Widespread Panic in Winter Park. The concert was from 4-8 and Winter Park is an hour away, so that left me in the company of John and Susie for the day. Naturally, we went fishing. We went back to a place I'd gone last year with Em and Jeff, a stream that runs into a reservoir. Last year we'd had some success there although the bushes attacked me and made me fall down. (There is a lot of pressing through 5-feet high bushes to get to the water, and they are very springy). Well, this time around the bushes behaved, even though they have grown in the past year. AND the fishing was excellent! Susie was a real trooper, following John and me through the bushes and reading her book while we fished. There was one hole that we got eight fish from! They were mostly cutthroats with some browns and the occasional "cut-bo" - a rainbow trout/cutthroat hybrid. I was able to work on my fishing technique as there were some tricky casts along the bushy creek. We amazingly didn't lose any flies, although there were some close calls. John only hooked my finger three times. Ouchie =P

Final fish count:
Cameron: 14
John: 12

Booyah.

Around 5 we reluctantly left the best fishing of the vacation yet and headed back to the house. We went to town and had Mexican food (I had some crazy enchiladas with mushrooms, spinach, tomatillo sauce, and sour cream). After dinner and a run to the grocery store, we returned to the house where we were greeted by Susie's friends Kathleen and Dot, who are staying with us for a few days. I retreated to the upstairs to read and play the DS while the womenfolk chatted. Eventually the boys returned from the concert, allowing me to seek my bed. I was tired! Fishing, bushwhacking, and being in the sun all day will take it out of you.

Today is another relaxed day, because we're doing a big hike tomorrow. Matt and I are about to eat lunch and then go to the pottery place where you can paint and fire stuff. I think I'm going to make a dish for Piper. Then Tuesday I'm fishing with John and the guide, and Wednesday or Thursday the boys and I are going to try and do some IV-V rapids with Charlie and Johnny.

So yeah, there's your update for the day. I'll let my loyal readers know how Matt's pottery painting goes =P

No comments: