Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

not the smartest move

In a not so brilliant move on my part, I decided I didn't want to take my seizure medicine because of the side effects. I mean, they are awful and I find it very hard to concentrate or study while on Keppra, but just not taking them wasn't necessarily the best idea. I know this because after about five days of slacking on the meds, I had another seizure. Yeah yeah, it's my fault. I was in the small anatomy lab attending one of Dr. Hoffman's Friday lunchtime review sessions, and about 10-15 minutes into it...down I went. The girl behind me mostly caught me as I toppled off my stool, and the first memory I have is me laying on the lab floor (ew) with my head laying on Dr. Hoffman's crossed-legged knee and him patting me on the side, which was really comforting. This would be the second time he's played a role in my brain adventures...it was really helpful to figure out what had happened while staying calm thanks to him. So yeah, off I went to the hospital again, which I said I wouldn't do but post-seizure I think I'd forgotten that.

My classmates were very nice. One borrowed my phone and called Matt and Emily, another made sure my stuff made it to the Dean's office for safekeeping. I went to St Joseph's in Bryan instead of The Med in CS and it was much faster and nicer. Emily and Johnny came up to be with me, I learned nothing new; mostly the message that I needed to go to a neurologist got reinforced through lectures by many people, including Matt, Emily, the ER doctor, and Dr. Hoffman.

Yeah, I went back up to the vet school about 2.5 hours after I'd had the seizure because I needed to check my locker and I wanted to see if I could catch the professor of the class I missed to get any make-up work. Emily and I walked all around, first to see Dr. Hoffman. He gave me a very fatherly look and ... mini-lecture when I confirmed I hadn't taken my seizure medicine (apparently he'd asked if I was taking it after the seizure but it was during my confusion stage). Then I picked my stuff up from the dean's office and we went to find my classmates. I talked with Christi and she thought she just hadn't been able to find me for class. I said "um, I was in the hospital."

Matt was coming for the Labor Day weekend anyway, but he left as soon as I had the seizure, so he got to the duplex around 4. We watched some tv and he watched football while I messed around in WoW. We went to bed at 9:20 to facilitate my ridiculously early awakenings. Good thing too, because I was wide awake at 5:00 but I was able to just get up and not feel like I'd only gotten a tiny bit of sleep. Today I studied some anatomy in the lab with Justin, Brandon, Christi, and Christina (Matt got to meet them) and then came back here and managed to be very unproductive. Now I have about an hour to study before we leave for the A&M game. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

No comments: