Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Microbiology lab was super-cool today. We typed our blood! Since I had such a bad experience with the needle hurting my finger when I got it pricked (assaulted) two weeks ago for donating, I decided to instead scrape a knuckle with the needle until it bled. Much better. We had little glass dishes with three depressions, labeled "A," "B," and "Rh." We put a drop of blood in each depression, and then added Anti-A (antibodies from rabbits) to A, Anti-B to B, and Anti-D to Rh. My A and Rh blood drops coagulated, so I am A+ (which is apparently the second largest blood type group, after O+). Jon was B- (his B drop coagulated), which is pretty rare (2% worldwide, even less in the US). But then, he might have messed up the test. Of course, me being A+ wasn't a huge shock, since Mom is A+ and they'd guessed I was too. Les, do you know what type you are?

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty neat lab. I was impressed that even the wimpy girls pricked themselves and bled for science. We'll find out the class distribution of blood types on Monday.

Speaking of Monday, that's my anatomy lab final. I'm a bit freaked out about it now, but it is still far enough away that my heart rate hasn't become constantly elevated yet. I hope I do okay. Over 80% of it is strictly identification, but that's still a heck of a lot of material to cover, and it is 67 questions (and 90 minutes) long. Yikes. Wish me luck.

No comments: