Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Not my fault

I don't think it's my fault for not updating my blog very much. There hasn't been much to report. My working life has been put on hold until I hear back about the job at the animal hospital. Until I get a call about that, all major plans are on hold. But what has been going on...

Last Friday Matt and I went to the HP football game and stayed for the first half. We won. Afterwards we had a furious DDR session in which Matt "blew off some steam" related to having to work all weekend. Saturday Matt had to work; that night we went to Bubba's, North Park, and back to his house so he could to laundry, during which we watched Secret Window with his parents. I liked it.

On Sunday, Matt had to go into work again, but before that we went to his family's old church up in Richardson, Trinity Fellowship. We went because we really need to find someone to marry us. The Catholic church is out, which leaves us with someone with whom Matt's family is associated if we want it to be someone we know. His family changed to Park Cities Baptist after Matt left for A&M, but I'd actually been to Trinity quite a few times when we were still in high school. Dr. Anderson, the head pastor, is a good guy and actually married three of Matt's uncles. So yeah, we went there on Sunday to listen to his sermon and reacquaint ourselves with what he's like before going any further on the wedding business. We weren't turned off, so we spoke with him afterwards and arranged to set up a meeting sometime. After an early lunch at Sonic, Matt was off to work in Fort Worth. In the afternoon, I picked Brittany up and we went to Peggy Sue for a root beer float (me) and apricot fried pie (her) and conversation. It was nice to have seen each other and talked as recently as mid-summer (when she came to CS) so that it wasn't one big "catch up on each other's lives" session. It's fun having someone around who hasn't had to go back to college yet (yay quarter system!). After I took Brittany home, Matt called saying he was on his way home, didn't have to work on Labor Day, and wondering if we would like to go to the ranch. I said yes, so we packed up quickly and hit the road!

We had a good time at the mini-ranch. I introduced Matt to the horses, and then we had dinner at the Lockes' with the two of them, Mom and Dad, Carolyn, and Robert and Cindy. It rained Monday morning, so we had a big breakfast inside. When it slowed down, M&D turned to gardening and Matt and I went down to the pond to watch the wildlife - lots of frogs and turtles. Then we played some ping-pong and watched The Fifth Element while eating lunch. In the afternoon, Jerry and his girlfriend Karyl came, and we were later joined by Karyl's daughter Marni and her boyfriend. We helped Mom and Cindy saddle up the horses and they rode around while we went to the pond and tried to shoot turtles with the pellet gun. *EDIT*: Dad, Matt, and I decided to turn over the boat that had been resting upside down by the pond for quite some time. Dad was very seriously warning us about snakes when we turned it over, but the only inhabitants were a small confused skunk and a big fat bullfrog. I didn't even see the frog at first because I was too busy running the heck away from the skunk, but Dad hesitated a few nanoseconds to contemplate the hugeness of the frog. Then he cleared out too. We scattered and the skunk (quite cute, actually) trundled away. We tried to catch the frog but it made it back to the pond. (end edit) Then Matt and I rode for a while (I was proud of Matt - he's not much of a rider). Story behaved much better than last time. Matt and I had to get back to Dallas since he had work the next day. We went straight to Curtis Park where his family was grilling out with Charlie and Meredith's family. We had some good food and then played a killer game of ultimate Frisbee. My team (John, Meredith, me, Luke, Joy, Mary) won 5-4 (other team: Charlie, Susie, Matt, Johnny, Sarah). Charlie+Johnny was a deadly combination because Charlie would run insanely far (way past their goal line) and then Johnny would throw the Frisbee all the way to him - I've never seen someone throw a Frisbee that far. But my team spread it all around and was ultimately (heehee) victorious! Then Matt went home with his family and I came home to an empty house (M&D, Carolyn, and Murphy stayed at the mini-ranch Monday night). So I played FFX, which I beat last night. Not bad, to beat it in just over a week.

So that's about it. Now I'm just waiting to hear about whether I can work at the animal hospital or not...playing video games until I know. :)

No comments: