Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

"You will be...

...pooped on, peed on, bled on, bitten at least once - try not to get bit - it hurts. Almost everyone cries their first day. Oh, that vet tech - she's worked her for 23 years - she made me cry on my second day. It's pretty normal to cry at night during the first couple weeks because of all the stuff you've seen at work."

This was the pep talk I got yesterday afternoon from Stephanie, a 3-year vet tech at the clinic, when I went in to fill out my employment packet. I thought I'd be meeting with Dr. Smith, the vet who hired me, but instead Stephanie walked me through everything instead. It was good - she told it like it was. I filled out tax stuff, federal employment stuff, got a manual, an OHSA packet whose first two pages were about avoiding animal bites. Murphy now gets 50% off any emergency medical care (let's all hope we never get to take advantage of that). I learned where and how to clock in and out. Where to park. Where to buy scrubs. How to ask others to cover my shift and how to sign up to cover other peoples' shifts. Where the list of duties was and how that worked. When we can take breaks. How you should always initial and date the food you leave in the break area to prevent others from eating it. How it was really a fun place to work but that people would test you if you were new and how it could sometimes be like high school. Stuff like that. I like Stephanie, and I'm sad she won't be there on Sunday when I have my first shift (she's going to the Bahamas). But when she gets back she'll be training me. All her cautions didn't scare me off (it was pretty much what I figured), and I'm really excited about starting work. After that meeting, I went to "Uniform World" and got two sets of scrubs: a dark blue top and bottom, a maroon top, and light blue bottoms. After 90 days we get two sets of official clinic scrubs but you always need extras. She also recommended getting some nursing shoes, since they are very comfortable and are blood-resistant, but I'm holding off on that for a while.

In other job news, I'm going in next Friday (the 8th) to meet with the HPISD personnel department to discuss substitute teaching. Hopefully it will be a quick process so that I'll be eligible soon. Since I am only working on Sundays at the clinic, I'd like to do as much subbing as possible.

Finally, something completely off topic. One of my websites in my links section is that of Clare's website/blog/picture gallery. Clare was one of Leslie's two roommates her junior and senior years at UT, and she's a really awesome person. She just started a two year stint in the Peace Corps in Senegal, Africa. So first off, I highly recommend you follow her blog because it is pretty amazing stuff and she's posting pictures too. Also, if anyone is so inclined, postcards are highly encouraged (you can find contact info in the Peace Corps section of her blog) because nothing says awesome like mail from strangers in different parts of the country. :)

Oh yeah, and something else that's randomly being added to this post - Dad's getting a new Expedition today! I'm excited. I love new cars.

"Consistency is the defense of a small mind." - Beldin

No comments: