Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, July 26, 2004

And we'll all float on OK

I couldn't update my blog much earlier than now, but I had a good reason - I was in Dallas! Dallas, you say? Yes...Emily was going back for a Judo tournament, and I begged a ride. Matt was in New Jersey all last week doing national KPMG training, and he wasn't scheduled to get back until 11:04 on Friday night. So Emily and I went swimming at my house and had dinner at Peggy Sue with Jeff. Then we watched Mystery Men, which I hadn't seen since it was in theatres. Afterwards, I let the loving couple have some alone time and went into Matt's room to watch a health lecture. Fun, I know. I also washed Matt's sheets and towel so he'd have some clean ones to come home to after a week in a hotel and time on an airplane. As it got late, Jeff left and Em went to bed so she could be rested for Judo. I sat in Matt's room and kept busy...and waited...we'd found out earlier in the night that his flight was an hour and a half late leaving New Jersey. He didn't get in until 1:30! When I heard come in, I crept downstairs and surprised him with my presence. He was happy. :) So I was able to tuck him in, and I went to the nest I'd made on the couch in the game room. It's a great couch - just my length and the center cushion crease is positioned just right.

I was up around 9 on Saturday to see off Em, and then I watched the Discovery Health Channel until Matt emerged (at 11:20!). After lunch, we headed to Grapevine to cheer on Emily. We also got to see Arjun throw lots of butt (you don't kick in Judo...so you have to "throw butt", not "kick butt"). Emily only had two matches, so we didn't actually spend more than an hour at the tournament. It was way impressive that Emily got second place and the silver medal - she was fighting against girls with higher belt levels than her! And it was awesome to watch her throw one girl to the ground in the ultimate way that means an instant victory. In the afternoon, we watched Matt and Jeff play NCAA Football 2005 (Matt (A&M) beat Jeff (Michigan) in round one but Jeff (Michigan) won round two against Matt (Penn State - their quarterback was horrible! Freaking lefties!). In the evening, Matt and I went to the West Village - we ate at Tom Tom Noodle House, saw Napoleon Dynamite, and drove to Wild About Harry's for custard. Then we had a serious discussion about cities that have both vet schools and KPMG offices and narrowed the list of options to three: Raleigh, NC (NC State); Minneapolis, MN (U of Minnesota); Sacramento, CA (UC Davis). The options that require Matt to quit his job with KPMG are Ft. Collins, CO (CSU) and A&M. Now we don't have to address that topic again for a long time, when we'll know more of what we want to do.

Sunday, was just time for me and Emily to soak up some boy time before heading back to CS. We left Dallas around 3:15, drove uneventfully using the 287 detour around Richland, and then drove through some freakishly heavy rain north of Madisonville. We got home in time for dinner, homework, watching The Big Chill, and bed. Today was a normal Monday with the exception of lunch - it was Chinese food with the physiology professors and Omar, the other 97.5% - and work - Emily stopped by and I showed her around. Tonight I was productive! Yay! I have 7.7 hours more of health to watch before the final on August 9. It is really boring. Today's lecture topic: "Service-based Cultural Competency: Issues of Access to, Utilization of, and Support for Care" and yesterday's: "African-American Culture & Behavior Modification." The first half of this class was definitely more interesting to me. All this Multifactorial basis of health disparities business is yucky. Boo!

One more VERY exciting note from the weekend: Matt passed the CPA exam! Only about 10% of people manage to pass all four sections their first time, and Matt passed them all with room to spare. Now he never has to think about that again and can burn all his CPA prep materials. I'm so happy for him, although I wasn't totally surprised - he worked so hard and studied so much this spring...he deserved it completely. What a smart guy. I should marry him.

No comments: