Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Yawn Mania Fest 5,000

Well, I'm a bad person. Not at all, really, but I feel guilty about the fact that I'm not going to SI tonight. But I'm really too tired to get much from it and I'd rather not have to drive anywhere, so...no SI. I'll go tomorrow and Tuesday and Wednesday (because my work schedule is built around it), and then I'll have accumulated 15 of the 20 SI points I need for the summer.

The reason I'm tired is a happy one: Taylor, Brittany, and Jeff came down to College Station this weekend to hang out. They got in late on Friday night, and we just sat around the living room and talked until it was (past) time for bed. Yesterday we watched the Veggie Tales Ultimate Silly Song Countdown and then the four of us watched Outbreak on TNT while Brittany practiced. We went and saw Spiderman 2 in the afternoon - I really enjoyed it, which both surprised and relieved me, since I didn't really like the first one. We all went to Swensen's for dinner and ginormous ice cream concoctions (I got coffee ice cream with fudge and butterscotch toppings, almonds, whipped cream, and a cherry). Emily and I were both suffering from our lack of sleep, which I counteracted with Tylenol and she with sleep. During Em's nap, Jeff, Taylor, and I taught Brittany how to play Halo. She's not the best at video games, having never played them growing up, but she was a real sport for playing with us and she grasped some of the harder Halo concepts (like using the two joysticks) quicker than most. Taylor and I had profiles, so our characters had names ('CLH' and 'Taylor'), but Brittany and Jeff just had randomly assigned names. I must say, I got a kick out of them - Jeff as 'Hollywood' and Brittany as 'Wilshire'. Poor Wilshire got the snot shot out of him, I'm afraid. It was hard to tell it was Brittany standing there from afar...usually only distinguished after the shotgun had been fired or the grenade tossed...rocket launched...sniper rifle triggered...gun butt connected with back of head...Brittany had a really awesome attitude about playing with us though, and having four people definitely made it more fun. After Em woke up, we really got to work, playing about 4 fun-filled hours of Mario Kart. Brittany was sleeping in my room this weekend, and that didn't help me get any more sleep. We hadn't gotten a chance to really talk (other than once on the phone 10 days ago when this whole trip got mapped out) since Christmas. So we stayed up until 1:45 Friday night and 2:45 last night talking. It was good. This morning, we all awoke somewhat late. We headed to The Kettle for brunch, came back for them to gather their stuff, and they all set out in the early afternoon. It was a great visit, one that had been in the works for years. I was glad it finally happened, especially since I'll only be here for another 5 weeks or so!

This afternoon, I was very sleepy and very lazy. I had to move my gaming systems back into my room, which led to playing Zelda (Majora's Mask) for a couple hours. Now my plan is to watch a health lecture before I get any sleepier, shower, watch Trading Spaces: Inside Out that I taped with Em, and go to bed! The whole sleepiness thing could be worse - I could be in Matt's position, who starts the first day of the rest of his life tomorrow (aka work). Yuck! I think he'll enjoy it, though. It's just me who is not quite ready for the real world.

No comments: