Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

wedding dreams, cats, and physiology grades

So last night I had the first of what I'm sure will be many dreams about the wedding. I'll preface the story with a physiology tidbit - we learned a few chapters about the regions of the brain that are active and inactive during dreaming (in REM, or "Paradoxical" sleep). All of your sensory areas and emotional centers are extremely active, but the region of your brain that handles logic and reason is completely inactive. So you see all this stuff going on, and your emotions run high, and your brain just runs with it, because it can't stop to say "pink and purple spotted elephants don't usually put bombs in people's cars" or something like that. Anyway, the dream: it was snowing. My quantitative analysis professor from spring of '03 was driving a monorail around. Everyone was there for the ceremony. And Matt was wearing some sort of fur-lined cape (he looked very dashing, actually). The wedding actually seemed to be taking place in Germany or something. So yeah, hopefully the next wedding dream I have will get more right than just: a) me being happy, and b) me marrying the right person.

To backtrack a bit...yesterday was good. I went to class and then came home to study intermittently until it was time for my test. Dr. Hildreth had given me to okay to miss work, and that worked out excellently. I was able to go through all the material again and get one last look. There was more going on than just studying, though. First off, I made Emily play some Tekken Tag Tournament with me during a study break. I'd been wanting to play it for a while now, and since you can play as a team rather than against each other, I thought Em might be game. Besides, I thought it would be good research for her upcoming Judo tournament. So that was fun. Then, around 3:30 there was a knock on the door, and Emily's aunt was standing in the doorway. She was with her daughter Jenny, having come from a visit to her mom in San Antonio, and they were stopping here to take a campus tour for Jenny. They stopped at the duplex (they knew how to get here because other daughter Rachel lived here a few years ago) to get directions to campus and also to ask us to cat-sit. Yes, in their van were two slightly frightened (read: shedding like mad) cats. So we gathered them up and put them in the bathroom (we were afraid of cat pee). They were extremely sweet. Both had the very soft, thick short fur of a Russian Blue, and one was all gray (blue) and one was gray and tan speckled. I think they were littermates, because they got along tremendously. Em and I wanted to adopt them on the spot. But they went back to Dallas after the campus tour.

I had to leave the cats at 4:35 to take my physiology test. I was really concerned, because I thought the material was hard (it covered the three muscle types: skeletal, smooth, and cardiac, and the heart) and it was so similar it was easy to become confused. And the heart is just a complicated subject. Also, I hadn't started really studying until Sunday because of wedding excitement and activity over the weekend. Finally, I've been somewhat distracted throughout this whole unit because of wedding stuff. My hopes weren't high, but I had still been keeping up with the material and everything, so I didn't expect to fail either. Coming out of the test, I thought I'd done okay (B range) - I'd had to guess more than the other two tests. I knew I'd just have to wait and see. So I went home and relaxed. I thought about watching a health lecture but instead I played some Tekken and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance. I also talked on the phone with Matt for a while, and then Mom and Dad. They'd been to Brittany's trumpet recital and wanted to tell me all about it. They said Brittany sounded amazing and was very professional. I really wish I could've been there! :( But I was glad to get such a good report from Mom and Dad. They also got several "congratulations" regarding the engagement. They were a little surprised at who knew about it, but according to Mr. Cruz, "Everybody knows." :)

Today I had class, SI, picked up my graduation announcements, and worked (my feet hurt). Amanda came by work and gave me an engagement present - it is this awesome silver frame with the picture of Matt proposing on one knee in it, and the frame is engraved with "Matt & Cameron Engaged 6-30-04." It is an amazing and thoughtful gift! It made my day. I'm very lucky to have Amanda as a friend (and bridesmaid!).

I published this post and realized I'd forgotten to tell how I did on my test. I made a 97.5%, which means I only missed one question, which means I get lunch from my profs! (Not to mention the fact that I did way better than I thought I would and I am thrilled!)

No comments: