Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Tuesday, July 13, 2004

mook

Yesterday was the first day of my first week with a set work schedule. It was moderately horrible, in that it was long and involved a three hour chunk of physiology. I went to class and listened to the lecture. In the 40 minute period between class and SI, I read my physiology book over the material we'd just covered. Then I had an hour and a half SI over that same material (it was a double SI to catch us up from the July 4th weekend - luckily it also counted as two SI's). Then I had a hurried lunch and rode my bike through the hotness to work. Work was good and bad. Good: I work with Larissa on Mondays and Wednesdays (we worked a lot together last fall and had genetics together last spring - she's very nice and fun to work with); the two newbies that work with us are cool and enthusiastic and quick to learn; I made money. Bad: I broke my Oakleys when they fell backwards off my head and landed on the hard tile floor (I tried to superglue them back together but it didn't work...I may try again today and use more glue); we have a new system where two experienced people are assigned to each lab (organic I lab, II lab, or cowboy organic lab) and are responsible for making sure the chemicals and bins are ready - this wouldn't be bad (the concept is a good one) but it is already leading to statements like "that's not my responsibility" which isn't the way the job is supposed to work, and also, sometimes one of the two people can slack and the other one has to do it all (...Hypothetically, of course...).

I got home from work, ate dinner, watched a Seinfeld, did some studying, and then Emily and I watched I Love the 90's: 1990. It was interesting, because some of the stuff they mentioned, I definitely remembered from my own experience (e.g. snap bracelets) but other things I'd never heard of (The Lambada?). Then we watched Road Rules and I talked to Matt. His first day of work was Monday - it went well. Then I read my insect book and went to bed. I'm home right now, taking my lunch break in between class and work. Since I have to eat on campus Monday and Wednesday (and usually Thursday), coming home on Tuesdays is definitely worth it. And I actually got something done with my time: I watched a health lecture on John Henryism (which my prof insisted on pronouncing "John Henry-in-ism," much to my annoyance).

Oh, goodness, it's time to pack up for work and SI... :)

No comments: