Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

How is it that I could get so wet in the time it took me to close my umbrella and get in my car?

So I'm halfway through my great SI attending experiment (going to every SI for a week to see if it's worth it). Here's what bugs me: the SIs are over the next day's lecture material, not a review of the earlier material. Now, going to SI would never make me decide I didn't need to go to class, but going to lecture where the material is really easy would let me know I didn't need to bother with SI (if SI followed lecture). I don't want to waste my time at SI, and only lecture attendance will help me decide whether I understand the material. Matt thinks that's why they do it this way - so you'll go to both. I don't know about that...but regardless of their motives, it bugs me. Also, this is my first class in a while where I have to read the book. Last semester consisted of anatomy - no book, and biochemistry, micro, and genetics - book was totally unnecessary and contained no additional material that we were responsible for. However, in physiology, we're responsible for everything in the book; lecture covers about half the book material; SI maybe half of the lecture material. There's nothing wrong with that (except that it means more work), but it's taking some mental adjusting. Luckily, I'm still finding the class interesting and anticipate it will become even more interesting after we finish covering topics such as the plasma membrane and move on to muscles, circulation, the nervous system, and the like.

No comments: