Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Now my posts have titles...

This weekend was very fun. On Friday, I had pizza at Matt's, and after hanging out there for a while, Matt and I went back to my house to swim and talk. On Saturday, I went over to Matt's for lunch and he left me on his computer to watch one of my health lectures while he went to the bank with Emily to switch the duplex bank account into her name. We went to Bed, Bath & Beyond that afternoon to buy a pillow for my bed in Dallas (both of the ones that were there were too big and not soft enough). As soon as we headed out, there was a freakish thunderstorm with really high winds - exciting. Matt bought himself a body pillow (justification: it was only $10). We went back to my place to drop off the pillow and for me to change shoes (Birks + rain = wet feet and oddly sticky leather). I had a load of laundry to switch into the dryer, and when I went to switch on the light, nothing happened. So I tried to turn on the kitchen light to find a new lightbulb, and it didn't turn on either...slowly it began to dawn on me that something was not right. The storm had knocked out our power, which was unfortunate for me but much more so for Amore, which is on the same grid as us. So Matt and I went back to his house. We went to Noodles & Company for dinner (mac and cheese so good), and then we met Em and Jeff to go see the new Harry Potter at the IMAX. I enjoyed the movie (seeing it at the IMAX was awesome), but...well, here...[warning - minor spoilers to those who don't know the story]

Good: The kids are getting better at acting. Cinematography. Time travel sequence at the end. Emma Thompson. Music. Whomping Willow. Seeing more of Hogwarts. Darker and creepier than the first two.
Bad: Cutting out so much of the book - it would've taken them 30 seconds to explain the map and what the deal was with the stag patronus; having NO secondary storylines made the main story the only thing going on in the movie. It made it hard to believe a whole year passed within the telling of the story - Matt said it felt like one day. Ending on a freeze frame. Lupin's character (I liked Lupin in the book SO much and I didn't get attached to him in the movie). Little Quidditch...or magic...

After we saw the movie, we went back to Matt's and I made him listen to the video game remix CD I made for their Phish road trip (it is made of quality remixes from video games Matt or Luke actually played - Street Fighter, Excitebike, Zelda, Metroid, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Halo, F-Zero, Mario, etc). Then I went home to meet up with Mom and Dad to go pick up Leslie at the airport. Her flight got in around 12:30 am. Fun stuff. We got home and went right to bed. This morning we had a Father's Day brunch for Dad (the four of us and Carolyn). Matt came over to say hi to Leslie and then took me (and Murphy) to their house to leave for College Station with Emily.

Yes, Murphy is in College Station now. I'm going to the miniranch on Thursday, so we thought this would be a great time for Murphy to visit the duplex - if it doesn't work out, it is only a four-day visit. So far things are going great - he trails after Emily just as much as me. I constructed a "Murphy Box" to enable him to get into my bed (and off). It consists of three bankers boxes (two steps) covered in a blanket for traction. He's already got the concept down, although making him use it to get down will take some more training, I bet. Right now he's laying on my pillow in my bed. Nice. :)

This week will be uneventful, other than having the Murph around. No tests or anything...just SIs and a visit to the horse lesson place (hopefully) on Tuesday. Then off to the miniranch on Thursday afternoon. Matt leaves for Phish with Luke on Tuesday. They have shows on Wednesday and Thursday and return on Sunday. Matt may come visit in College Station later that week (June 30 or July 1 or so). So I have that to look forward to already. Leslie gets her eyes lasared this week. All of Wednesday she has to keep her eyes closed. But if there aren't any complications, we'll meet at the miniranch on Thursday. She goes home next Sunday morning - we did some calculations and it looks like the week she'll be here will be more time than she's spent at home since she moved to California. Ridiculous. Well, I haven't done any physiology homework all weekend, so I should really attend to that.

No comments: