Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Monday, August 02, 2004

heh heh... ::locks door::

It's okay if you make one of your roommates hate you, as long as you're moving out in less than 10 days, right?

Okay, here's the deal. This summer I've been living with Emily and the two people she'd decided to live with this fall. We weren't all supposed to end up here for the summer (it went from me here alone, to me and Em, to the four of us), but we did. One of the girls, Liz, has basically been slowly but surely driving us all insane. Things like walking around in her underwear, laughing louder than a leaf blower, not cleaning up after herself, starting laundry in the dryer at midnight when everyone else is trying to sleep, letting her newspapers pile up either in the yard or inside, and basic rudeness were pushing us all to the brink...so when we had our duplex meeting tonight to discuss how the three of them were going to split up chores and whatnot this fall, I took the opportunity and spoke up. I had a list. I figured it was okay if Liz wasn't happy with me afterwards, because I knew Emily and Gigi mostly felt the same as me but if I were the one who spoke up and she hated me for it, well, I'm not living with Liz for the next year but Em and Gigi are. So I went through my things, saying what had to be said, asking if Liz had anything to say (no), continuing, Em and Gigi saying nothing, finishing, asking again if Liz wanted to respond. "No," she said very succinctly, "I'll take those all into consideration, but now I need to eat and go to work" and she left the room (she'd told Em right before the meeting that she didn't need to leave until 6:15 and it was only 5:40 or so). I went to my room, and then apparently Liz came out, grabbed her whole pan of cooked food, and took it to her car and drove away. Later in the night Emily went to her work to try and talk to her, but she basically brushed Emily off, said she was "fine" and that she'd just taken her break so she couldn't talk, and didn't give Em the discount she always gives her. Nice. I understand her being mad at me (I'd be less than happy too, probably partly from realizing how some of the things really were an issue) but Emily didn't even say anything. Anyway...I think we did the right thing, because now those issues are out in the open. Liz can brush them off and think I'm a horrible person, but at some point, Emily and Gigi can bring an issue up that is bothering them and Liz might realize it really is something she needs to work on because the foundation has been laid. Even so, I decided I'm locking my door from now on, just in case she decides to show her displeasure by messing with my stuff (or me). Just in case.

So that made for an exciting evening. The rest of my day wasn't nearly as eventful - class, SI, lunch, work. Only one more day of work in the organic labs left! Whizee!

I forgot to mention my eventful return to College Station in last night's post . I was supposed to exit I-35N in San Marcos, but I never saw the exit for my highway (I knew it by three different names and yet NONE appeared on a sign). After I realized I'd left San Marcos behind, I stopped and got out the map. It looked like it would be easier to just go through Austin and take 290 to 21 rather than turn around, so I did that. Ugh, I-35 in Austin. Yuck. But at least the 290 exit is finally finished. And the drive turned out to take the same amount of time despite being 15 miles longer because I didn't go through rain or have San Antonio rush hour traffic to deal with.

Elliot told me about this web comic-type site. Two of my favorites, here and here.

No comments: