Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

We are the champions

Elliot and I played through the entirety of the SNES classic "Super Mario World" yesterday, beating all the levels in every way possible and proving that we are, in fact, nerds. But triumphant nerds. This weekend was great. I left College Station around 2:15 pm on Friday and headed south, getting to Elliot's apartment right about 5:30. That night we ate at a really cool German deli off the Riverwalk (Schilo's Delicatessen - I had polish sausage on a bun, with the soup of the day and a deviled egg) (the deli had a yodeling accordion player). Then we walked all over downtown, including the obligatory walk-by of the Alamo. There was also a late-night ice cream run to Amy's around midnight. On Saturday, we got up and were joined for lunch at Cheesy Jane's by Elliot's girlfriend Katie. We had some really good cheeseburgers and tots. Then Katie had to put on her monkey suit (okay, it's black tux pants and tux shirt, and a black vest) to go to work as a room service attendant at the Marriott hotel downtown. Elliot then proceeded to take me on a walking tour (at my request) of the Trinity campus. I liked really liked the layout, the smallness, and the landscaping. It would've taken all day to walk around A&M with the same thoroughness with which we walked around Trinity for an hour. I got to see all of Elliot's dorms from the past three years and peek through the windows, too, which was fun. Then we returned to the apartment and were totally at a loss for what to do next (except drinking pink lemonade was definitely in order - it was HOT outside). So, since Elliot had his SNES all set up and beckoning, we decided to play Super Mario World until an idea came to us. Big mistake. We really got into it and became determined to beat it 100%. We took a break to run to the HEB for more pink lemonade, Dr Peppers, and cookies in the shape of Texas. We also paused to go to dinner at Florio's Pizza (really good - reminded me of Amore). And another pause around 11:00 for ice cream, this time at Brindles, where I got some heavenly pear sorbet. Our commitment was tested by the special levels ("Mondo," "Awesome," "Way Cool," etc), but we pressed on, using the Mario candle (okay, it was a red one from Target) and the TX cookies to fuel our desire for victory. And at around 12:30 am, our persistence paid off. Yay! Then, with perfect timing, Katie got off work and came by, and we capped the night off with a viewing a The Family Guy episode. Then I went to bed, because I'm a wimp. :) This morning, the three of us got brunch at Liberty Bar (it leans). Elliot and I both got the French toast (one huge slice) with fresh fruit, which was excellent, as was the freshly squeezed orange juice. Then we went back to the apartment so I could load up my car and come back here to College Station.

Elliot and Katie both told me that the only thing to do in San Antonio is eat, and I'm close to believing them. It's hard to resist, because there are so many amazing restaurants with lots of character that you just don't find in most places. Oh, and speaking of Katie, she's quite cool - a Chinese major at Trinity, from Grapevine, our age, very nice - Elliot's a lucky guy. :-D I'm glad I got to meet her this weekend, and I feel cool that I'm one of the first Dallas people to meet her. So yeah, I had a very nice weekend.

I have a lab test on Thursday, so I'll be studying a lot for that this week, as well as watching health lectures for next Monday's health class final. And my physiology final is next Tuesday. And then I'm done. Scary. And my last day of work is Wednesday, August 4. I can't believe it is August already...
I can't believe everything is coming to an end... wow.

No comments: