Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Hint: (the answer is "me")

Who made an A on her lab test?

Who watched her last health lecture online?

Who covered Emily's room in post-it notes?

Who made peace with Liz?

Wahoo!

I was sitting at my desk, about to dive into physiology studying, when I realized that my lab grade was probably posted online by now (and had been for hours). My heart gave a lurch and I immediately went to check it - it was a 28. Then I had to remember how many points the test was worth, because my first impression was that it was worth 40. That was wrong. It was out of 30, so I made a 93%. Considering I was shooting for a 75%, I'm very thrilled. And now I know exactly how I need to do on the final to make an A - a 72%. :)

Yeah, that third thing...I threatened Emily once at the beginning of the summer that one day she would wake up and her room would be covered in post-it notes (I don't remember why). I'd forgotten that threat, but I stumbled onto a hidden cache of sticky notes a while back, and last week the thought resurfaced, so I wrote a note to myself on my dry erase board "PNER," "post-it note Emily's room." I had abbreviated it because Emily frequently reads my board and I had to be sneaky. But then I promptly forgot what it meant. I even discussed it with Emily - "I wrote this note to myself and I can't remember what the abbreviation stood for...packing something, maybe?" But halfway through the conversation, I remembered. I hid a smile, said something like "oh well, it'll come to me," and left her room. I thought about doing it in the middle of the night last night (because this weekend Matt will be here and any later is during finals) but decided it'd be safer to wait until she was in class today. Hee hee...here are some pictures...







I left a note on her door with some post-its: "Good news: I figured out what 'PNER' stood for," and "Bad news: I figured out what 'PNER' stood for." When Emily got back from class, she stood their contemplating it, not understanding, asking me what it meant. I said "just go put your backpack down and ponder it - it'll come to you." And then she opened the door...and she did in fact figure out what it meant!



And final news flash - Emily and I made our peace with Liz. She got home late last night and we didn't get to talk to her. And she gave Emily the semi-silent treatment this morning. But later in the day, she discovered the garbage disposal wasn't working and had to come tell Emily about it. Then Emily, good property manager that she is, dove into the abyss with my pink gloves on and discovered the problem - four chicken vertebrae that Gigi must have accidentally put down the drain. Yeah, those don't grind up very well. Emily came to show me, and I suggested we show Liz. The three of us had a good laugh about it, and Emily and I were encouraged. A few minutes later, after I'd resumed watching my last health lecture, Liz knocked on my door and asked if we could talk (of course I said yes). She (summed up) said that, "for future reference," when I have issues like that which need to be addressed, I should talk to that person privately. I explained that I respected that she felt that way and went on to explain my logic behind talking to her in front of Em and Gigi, including that the topic was relevant to them, that I was hoping it wouldn't be a lecture but a discussion involving everyone but that she left as soon as I was done talking, and that had it been any other issue (as in one just between the two of us) I would've brought it up privately. I added that these things need to be brought up openly and that I wanted the three of them to have a fun experience living here this next year, being friends, rather than suffering in silence and hurting their friendship, and also that I hoped ultimately our discussion would turn out to be a good thing. She said that she was glad to know I'd thought it all out (rather than just being a mean person, I guess) and she admitted there were things she needed to work on. After we talked, she went and talked to Em about the need for communication between the three of them. And so, fences were mended, my door can stay unlocked, and I did the right thing. Go me.

No comments: