Pages

Always look on the bright side of life.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

Sim-Bop & Be-Bophone, Sky-Balls & Sax-Scraper

I love being back in Dallas - I can actually make plans for Sunday afternoon that don't involve driving three hours and avoiding traffic! I've had a fun weekend so far. Emily is baby-sitting the Stimson cousins while Charlie and Meredith are in Mexico, and on Friday I went over to keep Em company while the kids were in school. We played some DDR, then walked up to Peggy Sue for lunch. We stopped by Doughmonkey (a new bakery in Snider Plaza - SO good)and got some dessert. We hadn't been home for 10 minutes when Mary called from the UP (2nd grade) nurse's office saying that her head hurt and she needed to go home. So we went to pick her up, got her home and full of children's tylenol and water, and tucked her in for a nap. I hung around until all the other kids got home from school and then went back to my place. Mom and Dad had left for the mini-ranch, so it was just me and the Murph. Matt came over for dinner (we got Burger House - yum) and we watched the Olympics. Later on we played some DDR. Yesterday, I went to lunch with Midhat and Jon at Cisco. They just finished their first week of classes at UT Southwestern Medical School - it sounds so challenging. It is pretty awesome they ended up at the same place so that they have each other to lean on. They start gross anatomy tomorrow with cadaverous - I'm jealous. That may sound a bit morbid, but to me it sounds fascinating (those who know me well are not surprised, I'd wager). After lunch, I did a lot more organizing and unpacking/reshuffling. Matt came over later and we went to the Black Eyed Pea for dinner. Afterwards we watched Undercover Blues. Then we took the dog for a walk and watched the second half of The 3 Ninjas when we returned. I can't even estimate how many times I rented that movie when I was younger.

So the reason Mom and Dad were at the mini-ranch this weekend is cause for major excitement - they were getting a horse! And actually, they ended up with two! One is officially ours now: Montana Tim, and the other, a mare with no common name known (she's a registered quarter horse and accordingly has some ridiculous registered name), is on loan for a couple weeks while M&D decide if they want to keep her. Both horses are bays, although the mare is much lighter than Tim, and both are about 20 years old. Mom likes that because it means they're gentle, experienced, and calm. I got to see pictures of them this morning when M&D returned home for 45 minutes to clean up before heading off to Possum Kingdom Lake to stay at the Broad's condo there. I'm hoping to get to go sometime this week and see them in person and maybe do some riding (!!!).

No comments: